Opening night in the NHL for my favorite team the Minnesota Wild! WooHoo! Even our inept government can’t shut this down. Let’s….Play….HOCKEY!!!
I have a fairly new Ford Edge and it has a rear view camera and display. It’s nice, comes in handy, and I like it.
The NHTSA is adding rear view cameras to their list of “recommended” features. Good for them. They are not required but just recommended. Let the buying public decide.
Why do I bring this up? Because the AHAS has taken a stance that recommending it is not enough – they should be required safety equipment on all vehicles. In addition, the a lawsuit is being filed against the US DOT on behalf of advocacy groups and 2 parents that backed over their kids.
Sad story no doubt but why are they suing? Unfortunately 3 things come to mind: 1 is “protect us from ourselves”; 2 is cash grab; and 3 is blame someone else.
The cameras are a nice feature and probably increase safety but requiring them? Suing for not requiring them? How did the 983 gajillion other times people backed up in history not result in a world disaster?
I think it is a giant waste of time that could be better spent on numerous other topics.
Let’s invoke common sense, take some personal accountability, and focus on things that are truly important to the masses and the majority.
I was just reading about the 4 rapists in India that were sentenced to death. Good riddance – read the story and you will agree.
My rant isn’t about this case or the sentence. It is about a fact I read in the article (I have not confirmed it).
In India a woman is raped every 22 minutes. Appalling right? That number is actually far lower than in many other parts of the world.
Lets just talk about in the “civilized” USA (I love America and am not a basher or apologist). Estimates range from 300k to 1.3m rapes per year with another 54% not even reported. A woman has a 1 in 5 chance of being raped. 97% or rapists are never incarcerated. The numbers go on and on. It makes me sick.
What do we do about it? I wish I knew. Definitely start putting the hammer down on the worst of the animals. Forced sterilization. Capital punishment in some cases.
It would be nice to know what can make someone lose all sense of humanity and sink to such a level, but I am definitely not advocating a BS touchy feely 10 year study on it.
We all need to pitch in. More aggressive police work, far more severe punishment, and be supportive of victims.
It’s a horrible crime, and not one we can ever eliminate, but one we should be able to greatly reduce if we just try.
I haven’t done any fact checking but unfortunately a lot of it seems true…
Canadian’s Version of David Letterman’s Top 10
This is Canada’s Top Ten List of America’s Stupidity.
Of course we look like idiots because we are.
10) Only in America … could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
9) Only in America … could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General and roughly 20% of the federal workforce is black while only 14% of the population is black. 40+% of all federal entitlements goes to black Americans � 3X the rate that go to whites, 5X the rate that go to Hispanics!
8) Only in America … could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, TimothyGeithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
7) Only in America … can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
6) Only in America … would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just ‘magically’ become American citizens.
5) Only in America … could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.”
4) Only in America … could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
3) Only in America … could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).
2) Only in America … could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year – for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
1) Only in America … could the rich people – who pay 86% of all income taxes – be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. It’s a tragedy. I don’t know for sure what happened – I wasn’t there. You don’t know for sure what happened – you weren’t there. Only two people know for sure what happened – one is dead and the other was found not guilty.
We will never know what really happened. I suspect both Martin and Zimmerman were partially responsible. It’s just too bad that it had to end up with one dead and another’s life ruined.
What does piss me off is the endless list of people coming out and saying it was a travesty of justice – the latest being the usually well respected Colin Powell. Was he there? Does he have access to additional evidence that we don’t? Did Zimmerman confess to him? No, no, and no.
All he has is an opinion and a pulpit. Why do many in the public seem to think a persons opinion is more accurate and meaningful just because they are in the public eye? Politicians, musicians, actors, sports figures – their opinions should carry no more weight than mine our yours. Wake up people – you don’t have to believe in or agree with anyone’s opinion just because they are on MTV, ESPN, or wherever.
Mr Powell – I have great respect, admiration, and appreciation for all you have done for this country. But in this instance you should just shut your mouth because you weren’t there.
Talk about a no-brainier! Why aren’t we doing this everywhere already? Three cheers for Texas.
“A Republican-sponsored measure has passed the Texas House that requires unemployment applicants to take drug tests as a condition of receiving the aid. State Rep. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) sponsored the bill, which requires drug tests of applicants whose answers on a questionnaire suggest they’re at risk of drug abuse. The bill received unanimous state Senate support and goes to Gov. Rick Perry (R) for his signature.”
Debate on the death penalty has gone on for years. Someday we will catch the people behind the Boston Marathon bombing. Who can argue against the death penalty then? The people responsible killed 3 and injured over 170 some extremely seriously. It could have been far worse which is probably what those responsible hoped for. They had no regard for human life – why should anyone care about theirs?
We should have a speedy trial and quickly carry out sentencing.